Below are some questions we’ve been asked in the past. Review these first, and if your question is still not answered, contact us!
Are there actually two different contests?
Yes, there’s a contest for eligible individual filmmakers and another for eligible schools. You’ll have a chance to choose which one you’re entering when you submit your video.
Who can enter the contest?
The contest is open to two groups: individuals and schools. But here’s a bit more detail:
- Must be 13 years old or older at the time you enter the contest.
- Must be a student in grades Kindergarten to Grade 12, or a student actively enrolled in a university, college or film school (no commercial film-makers).
- Must obtain a parent or legal guardian’s permission to participate if you’re under 18.
- Must be a legal resident of the 50 United States, District of Columbia, or Canada (excluding Quebec).
- Have not previously won a prize in this contest in the last 5 years.
- In the US, must be a public or private school, Kindergarten to grade 12, located in the 50 United States or District of Columbia.
- In Canada, must be Kindergarten to grade 12 (except in Quebec) and can include previous school winners of this contest.
- Do not include colleges, universities, or institutions beyond secondary or high school level in the US or Canada (excluding Quebec).
There’s a lot more detail about your eligibility in the official rules.
What else should I know before I submit my entry?
Using your time wisely is a very important part of this contest, so make sure your video meets these requirements before you submit it, and save yourself from having to re-work it for any reason.
It’s also very important to think through how you will share your video with as many people as possible. We think it’s important to create a video that answers this year’s question, but we also think your message is important enough for people to see. Make a plan on how you will share your entry through social media or with the help of your family, friends, classmates and communities.
And remember, your video must be:
- your own original work
- submitted in one of the following formats: .wmv, .mov or .mp4
- a minimum of 30 seconds to a maximum of 2 minutes in length
- a maximum of 100 MB in size.
- respectful of copyrights and of others. Make sure you have permission to use other people’s music, company logos, images, or photos. For more tips on this, check out our resources.
And we can’t stress it enough; PLEASE READ the official rules for a lot more details.
What do I do after I submit my video?
You will receive an email letting you know if it’s up on the contest site for viewing or if you need to re-submit it for any reason.
Once it’s up on the site, get the word out to your friends and family. Encourage them to view your entire video (not just a few seconds) and also to give it a heart or comment on it.
Winning in this contest takes a combination of making a video with a great message and about how many people you reach with it.
What if my video gets rejected?
After you submit your video, we’ll review it to make sure it meets all of the contest requirements (it’s not using copyright music without permission, it’s 30 seconds to 2 minutes in length, etc.). If it doesn’t meet the rules, then we’ll let you know and you may be given a chance to edit and re-submit it. Please note: ALL submissions (edited or not) MUST be received by the contest deadline, so don’t wait until the last minute in case you have to edit it!
How will the videos be judged?
Winning videos will be selected based on a combination of ratings and number of views, as well as scores assigned by an objective, independent panel of judges scoring on:
- Creativity: style, message delivery, execution (50%)
- Appropriateness: on topic (25%)
- Effectiveness: clarity of message, persuasiveness (25%)
How will I know if I made the finals?
If your video is a finalist, we’ll contact you and ask you to provide some information to continue on as a finalist. So be sure to check the email address you used to submit your entry around that date.
If I make the finals, how will I know if I’ve won?
Winners will be notified by phone or email.
Who needs to register on the contest site?
You can view videos during the contest without registering. However, if you want to enter the contest, or if you want to give a comment or heart to someone’s video, you need to register on the site. You must be 13 or older to register on this site. If you’re not at least 13 years old, a parent, guardian, or teacher will need to register.
Who do I contact for help?
Got a question not answered here, or a comment about the website or contest? Contact us.